Well although the course was mainly shut last week, there is still lots going on with your professional golf staff and your professional golf shop, with the arrivals of the latest Nike and FootJoy Shoes, Ladies Nike, Callaway and Puma clothing along with the new look ladies club colour team wear for 2015. Along with that we also received the latest Nike Vapor Product range, the 2015 Wilson fitting range and some fantastic new Odyssey putters.
We are really revving up for an exciting spring and summer of golf and I hope you are too. We have some exciting things planned including the return of the Pro Shop challenge starting in mid March, the introduction of the Professional's Away Day and Team competition (details coming soon), and a jammed packed diary of club events, fitting events and other activity.
This week's newsletter I thought it would be nice to get a little insight from the team of teaching professionals at your disposal at Girton. Who would of thought that 2 years ago when I started we would have 4 fully qualified PGA Professionals at the club including 2 County Development coaches!
Find out a little bit more about the staff that look after your golfing needs. So i thought it would be fun to have a little interview with them this week and this is what they had to say...
Ryan Walters - PGA A Professional
1. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been? Travel around America
2. If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be? Winning The Open
3. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Learn a different language
4. What was your handicap I when you turned pro? +1
5. What golf course do you most want to play? Augusta National
6. Favourite sport to watch live or TV? Football
Dean Saunders - PGA A Professional
1. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been? South America
2. If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be? Watching the wining Euro Millions numbers come up on my ticket !!
3. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? Play the guitar
4. What was your handicap I when you turned pro? 3
5. What Golf course do you most want to play? Augusta National
6. Favourite sport to watch live or TV? Football
Tim Button - PGA A Professional
1. Where do you most want to travel, but have never been? Hawaii. For the climate, wildlife, particularly sea life, and it's natural beauty. Maybe also a bit of golf.
2. If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be? 15th June 1215, the signing of the Magna Carta. Because of the subsequent influence it had on our laws and political life. It also influenced the personal liberties and the protection of individuals in other countries, such as the American Constitution.
3. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be? To be able to ski.
4. What was your handicap I when you turned pro? Scratch
5. What Golf course do you most want to play? Augusta National, unlikely to happen but I can dream
6. Favourite sport to watch live or TV? Test Match Cricket. Still the truest and purest form of the game
My Callaway Fitting Experience - New Bag Set up for 2015
As you know I have been selected to represent Callaway as a Staff Player in 2015. Last week saw me take the trip down to Chessington to Callaway HQ to get fitted for the new 2015 product. 2 hours later and there were some massive changes to my golf clubs and golf bag set up for 2015.
Out with the 3 iron, a club I have trusted for years and in goes the new Callaway Alpha Hybrid to replace it, my trusty 3 wood has been replaced by an updated 4 wood, and my driver fitting managed to gain an extra 16 yards of air time carrying the ball on average 292 yards!
Playing with my shafts in my irons I saw that with a lighter shaft I could hit the ball further but with my club head speed this was so inconsistent in distance the change would be pointless. Remember, with irons we want to get more yardage but also be able to repeat and control that yardage.
The club I am most excited about is my new putter, the New odyssey Works 1W model with a superstroke grip and big change for me this year as I have always had traditional putters and grips but it's time to see what the fuss is about and roll the rock better!
Try the Clubs your Head Professional will play in 2015 - Callaway Launch Week
One of the perks of being a Callaway ambassador is we get to get the kit first. We will be launching the New XR range from 26th Feb - 4th March, fittings are available at any point in the period but we have set aside 27th February 9am-7pm specifically for those who want to get in early.
If you would like a free fitting appointment please contact us in the shop on 01223 276 169 or email us here.
Click here for your invitation
Putting Lesson, Fitting and UP Grade all in one!
As Odyssey will be here over the weekend of the 26th - 1st March, we have an exciting offer for those of you who are fed up of 3 putting, missing short putts and want to get off to a great start. We are offering a 45minute session which includes a 30minute putter lesson and a 15minute putter custom fit all for £25!
If you then would like to upgrade your putter we will trade your old putter in for £20 against a new one, or give you 10% OFF any alterations needed to your current putter! Can't be bad I say! The Teaching Professionals are available over this weekend but please call 01223276169 to book, places will go fast for this I am sure.
New junior website launches - Check out www.girtonjuniorgolfers.co.uk for more information on junior coaching offering at Girton
Ladies Exhibition Day
Ladies, I am really excited to be able to host a day for you all.
The aim of this day is to Launch Ladies Golf in Cambridgeshire for 2015! With the Professional team we will be welcoming a special guest to put on some clinics for you throughout the day, along with great opportunities to see the lastest in Ladies clothing for 2015, ladies coaching offering from beginners, social groups, weekly roll ups and County level coaching.
We will be showcasing all our professional team has to offer on Thursday, 5th March between 10-5pm
Our special guest will be giving a long game clinic and a putting clinic before you get the chance to peruse the latest equipment and have a go on the driving range with 8 ladies brands… yes 8 all for ladies and to try on new clothing and shoes. I want to encourage ladies to engage and feel that Girton Pro Shop can cater and offer them the best service possible.
Watch this space for more information ...
27th February - Callaway Launch Week Fitting Day
5th March - Ladies Exhibition Afternoon
30th April - Bridgestone Ball Fitting
8th May cobra Custom Fitting Day
7th August Girton Golf Club PGA Pro AM